Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Craving Chicken Pot Pie? Don’t want to make Pie Crust or filling from scratch? Well, here is a recipe that will give you a few short cuts so you can have homemade Chicken Pot Pie and you can cut a few corners.
So where did Chicken Pot Pie originate? As a kid you probably had those little frozen pies that took their place next to TV dinners but it appears that ancient Greeks cooked meats and poultry in open pastry shells called artocreas, but the Romans added the top crust creating the first real pot pies. So Pot Pies go back centuries, way before those little frozen pies that came in a box!
In todays world so many of us have busy schedules but you still may want to create a hearty, filling meal on a cold or rainy day for your family. This recipe might be the answer to creating a semi homemade meal rather than buying the little frozen pies.
I do buy the little pie tins however at a big box store. They are very inexpensive and are the perfect vessel for Pot Pies. If you happen to have 4- five inch, small casserole dishes, then by all means use them!
You should have most of these ingredients on hand, so you can bake this, and serve it straight from the oven for your family in no time!
EASY CHICKEN POT PIE RECIPE
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1-Package Pie Crust mix for 2 Crusts
- 1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Onion, Diced
- 1 Cup Mushrooms, diced
- 1 & 1/2 Cups Frozen Mixed Veggies
- 1 Tablespoon Montreal Chicken Spice
- 1 Tablespoon Mrs. Dash Garlic Herb Spice
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spray four, 5 inch Pot Pie pans with non stick cooking spray and set aside.
3. Saute the Onions with a little Butter in a large skillet on the stove until they are translucent, then transfer them to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
4. Cut the Chicken into 1 inch pieces and add to the same skillet, adding 1 Tablespoon of Butter to the skillet. Sprinkle the Chicken with the Montreal Chicken Spice, then sauté just until done. Add the cooked Chicken to the bowl with the Onions.
5. Place the frozen Veggies in the microwave on defrost for 3-4 minutes, then add them to the bowl with Chicken. Also, add the Mushrooms into the same bowl.
6. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the Chicken Soup, Milk, Pepper and Mrs. Dash, then and add it to the Chicken and Veggie mixture. Stir well so all the ingredients are coated.
7. Mix the Pie Crust Mix as directed on package and separate into 8 equal parts.
8. Roll out 4 pieces of dough on a floured surface into rounds to create the bottom crust for the Pot Pies, then place them into the 4 Pot Pie pans.
9. Fill the Pot Pie crusts with the filling.
10. Roll out the remaining 4 sections of dough to create the tops for our Chicken Pot Pies. Place them over the top of the filling and pinch and seal the edges. Make several small slits in the top of each Crust to allow the steam to escape while baking.
11. Place the Chicken Pot Pies on a large baking sheet and place in the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes or until the Crust is golden brown. All ovens cook differently so check them at 30 minutes, then check every 10 minutes after that.
~Although these Chicken Pot Pies are not entirely from scratch, they sure taste as though they are. So if you need to take a few short cuts in your busy day but still want to have home made comfort food for your family, give this recipe a try!
Recipe by: Hot Dish Homemaker