Caramel Apple Bundt Cake
Apples and Caramel= a perfect combination!
It is Apple season here in Minnesota where I live. Apple orchards have an abundance of Apples and so many varieties to chose from. Honeycrisp is one of my favorite varieties. The University of Minnesota has an Apple breeding program and they have produced spectacular Apple varieties such as Sweetango and Zestar. Look for quality Apples during this peak season. Visit the Apple orchards or Farmers markets and partake in sampling and supporting the local growers market.
This is a great recipe to start baking with your Apples. We are also using a Bundt pan which just happens to be a creation developed right here in Minnesota. Yep, it was developed by Nordicware back in the 1950’s. An innovative couple started a business called Nordicware in their Minneapolis home and eventually developed the Bundt pan! The rest is history!
CARAMEL APPLE BUNDT CAKE RECIPE
- 3 Cups Apples, peeled-cored-diced
- 3 Eggs
- 1 & 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon Vanilla
- 3 Cups Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon Cloves
- 24 Caramels
- 1/2 Cup Peanuts
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Use baking spray to coat the inside of your Bundt pan and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl stir together the Flour, Baking Soda and Salt. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl cream together the Eggs, Coconut Oil and Vanilla.
4. Add the Sugar and Brown Sugar and mix thoroughly with your hand mixer.
5. Next mix in the Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Cloves.
6. Now slowly add in the Flour mixture, one cup at a time blending and scraping the bowl as you go.
7. Once all the Flour is incorporated, in go our Apples!
8. Transfer the Bundt Cake Batter to the prepared Bundt pan. Spread it out evenly in the pan.
9. Time to bake the Bundt Cake. Place the pan in the preheated oven.
10. Baking time will be about 60 minutes. All ovens cook differently so check at the 30 minute mark. We are looking for the Cake to be slightly brown on the edges and a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean as you see here.
11. Allow the Cake to cool completely, then transfer the Cake onto a cake plate as you see here.
12. Now we can make our Caramel topping. First place about 1/2 Cup of Peanuts into a plastic bag and crush them up with a rolling pin then set aside. I used Peanuts with Sea Salt added to give that Salted Caramel flavor on top.
13. In a medium microwave safe bowl, add the Caramels and Cream. Heat on high checking the Caramels every 20 seconds and stirring well. Once the Caramels are all melted and the Heavy Cream has blended in, let the Caramel Sauce cool slightly. If you put the Caramel Sauce on the Bundt Cake when it is too hot, it will just run right off of the Cake, so allow it to cool and give it a stir every few minutes. If you wait too long and your Caramel Sauce gets too thick just pop it back in the microwave for a few seconds. Once you drizzle the Caramel Sauce evenly on the top of the Cake, sprinkle the Peanuts on top of the Sauce.
And there you have it, Caramel Apple Bundt Cake! Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle a few more Peanuts over all. This is a great Fall Dessert!
Recipe by: Hot Dish Homemaker