Beer Cheese Meatballs
For these Meatballs we add the flavors of Beer Cheese Soup in our sauce which creates a super cheesy flavorful Meatball appetizer.
Here in Minnesota, Meatballs are kind of a staple when it comes to appetizers. There is one company in particular that has founded their success making Meatballs. They use to only sell them at their local meat market retail store but they have since grown and now offer their Meatballs frozen in local grocery stores for convenience. Of course everyone has their own home made Meatball recipe as well. For this we are using the frozen Meatballs because we are serving a crowd.
Serving Meatball appetizers to a crowd is easy. Just throw them in your slow cooker with your favorite sauce. No fuss, no muss almost too easy. I found that because Meatball appetizers are so popular, the sauces really needed a change. People often made the standard sauce such as barbecue or one in particular that is used a lot here in Minnesota is to combine grape jelly and chili sauce. Sounds gross but it actually tastes great. With that said, if you are going to serve Meatballs you really need to find some new and interesting sauces so I came up with this one.
I knew I wanted to make some sort of a Cheese sauce but wasn’t sure what to make. So off to run my errands. I stopped at the liquor store for wine and beer, then it hit me Beer Cheese Soup. Change the Beer Cheese Soup into a sauce with the same flavors to go over the Meatballs.
Here is the recipe:
BEER CHEESE MEATBALLS
- 2 (22 oz.) Bags Frozen Meatballs
- 1 Bottle of Beer
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 2 (10 3/4 oz.) Cans Cheddar Cheese Soup
- 4 Strips Thick Cut Bacon, diced
- 3/4 Cup Celery, finely diced
- 3/4 Cup Carrots, shredded
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1. Add the diced raw Bacon into a medium size saucepan. Cook until done then transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
2. Pour the Bacon drippings out of the pan but reserve about 2 Tablespoons in the pan.
3. Add the Carrots and Celery to the pan with the Bacon drippings and cook until they are tender.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Beer, 2-cans of Soup, Cheddar Cheese, Bacon and the Garlic. Give your Pepper mill a few good turns over all then stir together the ingredients once again.
5. Put the frozen Meatballs in your slow cooker, and pour the Beer Cheese sauce over all. Turn the slow cooker on high for 2-3 hours. Timing can be tricky here. The older slow cookers/crock pots cook at a lower temperature. The government mandated that these types of cookers needed to cook the food at a higher temperature to ensure your food was safe to eat so the newer models cook your food faster. So with that said, I have a newer slow cooker and I cooked my Meatballs on low for 3-4 hours and they were done. I guess you really have to know your slow cooker and certainly check the meatballs with your meat thermometer to see if they are heated all the way through. Remember these Meatballs are already cooked so no worries there, you however do not want to serve Meatballs with a cold center.
6. Occasionally stir the Meatballs to ensure the sauce is evenly distributed and that the Cheese sauce is melting throughout. Once they are ready, transfer them to a serving bowl or serve them directly from your slow cooker and keep the temp on warm.
Recipe by Hot Dish Homemaker