Three Layer Holiday Dessert
This is a colorful and VERY simple Dessert to make. Kids love it!
I first created this dessert when I was about 16 or 17 years old. I was preparing a Holiday dinner for my Father. I had a girlfriend coming over to dine with us as well. I wanted to come up with something different to serve for dessert, that would look impressive on the table but was easy to prepare since I had my hands full preparing the rest of the meal.
This was Christmas time so I thought about incorporating red and green colors into the dessert. I wanted to use the saucer champagne glasses that my parents had in their cupboard. They never used them, they didn’t drink wine or champagne I believe they were wedding gifts or handed down to them. I loved these glasses and wanted my dessert to be served in them, they were my inspiration.
So searching at the grocery store for red and green colors to incorporate in the dessert and glasses, I first thought of Strawberries. I put them in my shopping cart. Walking down the baking aisle I saw Pistachio Pudding and thought I could probably make some sort of layered dessert, which would look lovely in the glasses. Then I saw the Strawberry Gelatin next to the Pistachio Pudding and I knew what I was going to do.
First layer would be red and would have the Strawberries incorporated in the Gelatin. Next I would do a layer for green which would be the nutty Pistachio Pudding. I thought the toasted nutty flavor would pair well with the Strawberry flavor. Then to top it off, like snow on the roof, white comes next, and of course that would be Whipped Cream, which I would whip up myself. I am not a big fan of the frozen dessert topping that comes in a tub…although I have used it in many recipes, I don’t mind it if it is mixed into other ingredients. I prefer fresh Whipped Cream when using it as a topping or a feature, since it has much better flavor and texture.
Of course I never wrote down recipes, I always just created dishes and then tried to re-create them the next time I made them. This is the first time in 36 years that I actually took the time to write down this recipe as I made the dessert, and I also put it in balloon style wine glasses instead of the small saucer champagne glasses.
Although this is a very simple recipe and dessert, it looks lovely on the table and tastes pretty darn good! Kids love it!
THREE LAYER HOLIDAY DESSERT
- 1 Package Strawberry Gelatin (4-serving size)
- 1 Package Pistachio Instant Pudding (4-serving size)
- 3/4 Cup Fresh Strawberries, sliced or diced
- 8 Ounces Fresh Whipping Cream
- 1/8 Cup Sugar
1. Prepare Gelatin as directed on package. Pour evenly into 4 balloon wine glasses. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-40 minutes. You just want the Gelatin to set slightly before adding the Strawberries. If you add the Strawberries in right away, they will float. That wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. Just be sure the Gelatin doesn’t get to firm before adding the Strawberries or it will not be smooth.
2. If your Strawberries are small you can just slice them, if they are quite large, it is better to dice them into bite size pieces. After 30-40 minutes add the Strawberries into the Gelatin. Cover the glasses once again with the plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm. This may take about 4 hours.
3. Prepare the Pistachio Pudding according to directions. Divide and layer evenly into the 4 wine glasses. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you are ready to add the top layer.
4. In a chilled bowl, whip together the Whipping Cream and Sugar with a hand mixer until thick and creamy.
5. Divide and layer the Whipped Cream evenly into the 4 wine glasses on top of the Pistachio Pudding layer. Looks like clouds or snow floating on top!
6. Sprinkle a few Pistachios or Pecans on top for a garnish. Keep this dessert refrigerated just until you are ready to serve.
Recipe by: Hot Dish Homemaker