Seven Layer Salad Recipe
This Salad is colorful and oh so delicious!
I think there are thousands of versions of the “Seven Layer Salad” Recipe out there. This is my version and I make it quite often.
I believe the Seven Layer Salad, originated in the South and of course had Seven Layers, one of which was Peas. Here is the big question…whether to include Peas in your Seven Layer Salad or not? A lot of my relatives do not like Peas. My husband doesn’t really like Peas but he does like them in this type of Salad. I LOVE Peas and LOVE them in this Salad.
You can make this Recipe with or without Peas and it is delicious either way!
SEVEN LAYER SALAD RECIPE
- 5 Cups Iceberg Lettuce, chopped
- 1 & 1/2 Cups Broccoli Florets, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 Cup Red Pepper, diced
- 1/3 Cup Carrots, shredded
- 3/4 Cup Tomatoes, diced
- 4 Slices Bacon, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 Slices Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 & 1/3 Cup Marble Jack Cheese
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas, Thawed (optional)
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Mrs. Dash, Original
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons White Vinegar
1. In a 9 x 13 pan or dish, we are going to start the layering process. The first layer will be the Lettuce, followed by the Broccoli.
2. Next we are going to add the Red Pepper, Bacon, Yellow Onion, Tomatoes, Carrots and if you love Peas like me, this is where you would also include the Peas. In this picture I did not include the Peas, yep I had a Pea hater in the group, so no Peas in this one!
3. Now we are going to make the Dressing. In a small mixing bowl whisk together the Mayo, Sugar, Mrs. Dash, Pepper and Vinegar until well combined.
4. Drizzle the Dressing evenly over the top of the Veggies as you see here.
5. Next layer the Cheese evenly on top, followed by the Green Onions.
6. Now cover and refrigerate the Salad for 6-hours. This gives the Dressing a chance to coat all the ingredients and for the flavors to marry.
Serve this Salad with fresh baked bread or rolls and you have a great meal!
Recipe by: Hot Dish Homemaker