Poppy Seed Dressing
Make your own Poppy Seed Dressing at home.
Making Salad Dressing is really so simple, why would you buy it in a jar, full of things you can’t pronounce? Make this dressing and it will last up to a week in your refrigerator.
Poppy Seeds are slightly nutty tasting so they make a perfect addition to this Dressing. Their size doesn’t over power your salad either, they merely add a hint of flavor.
POPPY SEED DRESSING
- 1/4 Cup White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Poppy Seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Mustard
- 1/2 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1 Small Shallott, grated
1. In a medium size bowl whisk together the White Wine Vinegar and Sugar until it is dissolved.
2. Peel the Shallott. Now we are going to use a grater. Rub the Shallott on the side of the grater with the smallest holes. This will create a finely minced Shallott and release all of its wonderful flavor. I ended up only using 1/2 of my Shallott because it was a bit larger than I needed.
3. Now whisk in, the Poppy Seeds, Salt, and Ground Mustard.
4. Time to add the last ingredient which is the Olive Oil. For this step you need to continually whisk while SLOWLY pouring in the Olive Oil. This is key so the ingredients all come together.
5. Now pour the Dressing into a glass jar. Cover tightly. I use a mason jar. Refrigerate the Dressing until ready to serve. The beauty of having the Dressing in the jar with a tight fitting lid is, you can just shake the jar before using the Dressing. This type of Dressing does need to be whisked or shaken before use because it separates as it sits. So using a jar is ideal for this recipe.
I like to use this Dressing drizzled over some nice fresh mixed greens with strawberries and feta as you see here.
Recipe by: Hot Dish Homemaker