Mexican Fiesta Casserole Recipe
If you like Mexican food, you are going to love this Casserole, or as we say in Minnesota, Hot Dish!
This Hot Dish is a lot easier to serve and less messy than Tacos! You can adjust the heat by adding more or less seeds from the Jalapeno. You can even leave the seeds out entirely if you like it more mild. Either way, this is a flavorful and colorful Casserole.
If you grow Tomatoes, Cilantro, Red Peppers and Jalapeno Peppers in your garden, like I do, this is a great Hot Dish to use all of them in. Fresh from the garden veggies and herbs are the best!
After making this Casserole, I only had 2 small pieces left. It was a hit! We microwaved the leftovers for lunch the next day and they were excellent.
MEXICAN FIESTA CASSEROLE
- 1 Pound Ground Beef or Turkey
- 1 Small Onion, Diced
- 1 Red Pepper, diced
- 3 Jalapenos, diced (with or without seeds)
- 1 (16 oz.) Package Frozen Corn
- 1 (10 oz.) Can Campbells Fiesta Nacho Cheese Soup
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 & 1/2 Cups Mexican Cheese Blend, shredded (if you can’t find it you can use Cheddar)
- 3 Cups Cooked White Rice
- 1 (2.25 oz.) Can Sliced Black Olives
- 1 & 1/4 Cups Sliced Grape Tomatoes or Cherry Tomatoes
- 5 Tablespoons Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Package Taco Seasoning Mix
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large sauté pan, add the Red Pepper, Jalapeno Pepper, Onion and the oil. Sauté just until the veggies are tender, then transfer them to a large bowl.
3. Now add the Ground Beef or Turkey to the sauté pan and brown the meat. Drain then add the Taco Mix and the Water and heat until thickened. Remove the pan from the heat and cool slightly.
4. In a small bowl combine the Sour Cream and the Fiesta Nacho Cheese Soup, set aside.
5. Add the Corn and the Rice to the bowl with the Peppers and Onion.
6. Now stir the Soup mixture in with the Corn and Rice mixture. Add 1 Tablespoon of the Chopped Cilantro into the mixture as well.
7. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer the Rice and Corn mixture into the bottom of the pan and spread into an even layer.
8. Next spread the Ground Beef or Ground Turkey mixture evenly over the first layer.
9. Cover the baking dish with foil and pop it into the preheated oven and bake for 30-40 minutes. All ovens cook differently so check at 20 minutes. You want the Casserole to be heated through and slightly bubbly.
10. When the Casserole is done remove it from the oven, remove the foil and evenly spread the Cheese on top of the Casserole.
11. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until the Cheese is melted.
12. Remove the Casserole from the Oven and sprinkle the Cilantro, Black Olives and Tomatoes on top.
13. Wait 5-8 minutes before serving. If you cut into the Casserole right away, it can fall apart, just like lasagna!
~ Serve this Casserole with a side of Sour Cream.
Recipe by: Hot Dish Homemaker