Twice Baked Zucchini Recipe
If you like Twice Baked Potatoes, you are going to love Twice Baked Zucchini!
Do you grow Zucchini in your garden? Maybe you bought several Zucchinis from the farmers market and are looking for a new way to serve them? Give this recipe a try.
This is very filling so you could even serve it as a main meal.
TWICE BAKED ZUCCHINI RECIPE
- 3 Zucchini Squash
- 6 Strips of Bacon
- 4 Green Onion Stems, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Button Mushrooms, diced
- 1/4 Cup Red Pepper, diced
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 2 Heaping Tablespoons Sour Cream
- 1/2 Cup & 1/4 Cup Marble Jack Cheese, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash Zucchini and pat dry. Cut Zucchini in half lengthwise. Use a melon baller to scoop out the flesh, leaving about a 1/4 inch in the shell. Reserve the Zucchini that was scooped out and give it a rough chop, we are going to use it later!
3. Place the Zucchini Skins on a baking sheet and sprinkle with Olive Oil and Pepper. Pop them in the oven and set the timer for 15 minutes. You may need an additional 3-4 minutes if your Zucchinis are a bit larger. Just cook until the skins are tender.
4. While the Zucchini’s are baking, place the Bacon in a frying pan and cook until slightly crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and reserve 1 Tablespoon of the Bacon fat in the pan. Dice the cooked Bacon into bite size pieces and set aside.
5. Place the chopped Zucchini, Peppers, Garlic and Mushrooms into the frying pan and cook until tender, then transfer to a medium size bowl.
6. Add the Green Onion, Sour Cream, Bacon, Black Pepper and 1/2 Cup of the Cheese to the Zucchini mixture and stir well.
7. Remove the Zucchini Skins from the oven and fill with the Zucchini stuffing.
8. Top each Zucchini skin with a bit more Cheese from the remaining 1/4 Cup of Cheese.
9. Place the Stuffed Zucchini Skins back into the oven for about 10-12 minutes, until done and the Cheese on top is melted.
10. Let the Twice Baked Zucchini’s sit for 1-2 minutes before removing from the baking sheet.
~Serve with a side of Sour Cream and enjoy!
Recipe by: Hot Dish Homemaker