Low Carb Beef Stew
Nothing like hearty Beef Stew on a cold day!
Just two things missing from this Stew which makes it Low Carb. No potatoes and no flour. Yep, still have all the other great Stew ingredients. So if you are on a low Carb eating plan, you can still enjoy this dish and your family will love it too!
We are making this Stew in a slow cooker. Nothing better to fill the house with home cooking aromas. When the family comes in from outside, they will be ready for a nice big bowl to warm their tummies!
LOW CARB BEEF STEW RECIPE
- 1 & 1/2 Pounds Beef (I get the packaged beef stew meat from the butcher)
- 1 & 1/2 Cups Red Wine
- 1 Cup Organic Beef Stock plus 2 Tablespoons
- 2 (14.5 oz.) Cans Organic Diced Tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 & 1/2 Cups Carrot Chips (or you can use sliced)
- 8 Ounces Button Mushrooms, quartered
- 1 Cup Celery (2 Stalks), diced
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 or 2 Packets Xanthium Gum
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 3/4 Cup Fresh Parsley plus a few sprigs for garnish
- 1 Cup Mini Peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/8 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1. Place the Beef Stew Meat in a re-sealable plastic bag and pour in the wine. You can use any Red Wine. This is a good place to use leftover Wine. Set the sealed bag in a dish in case the bag leaks and refrigerate for 4-6 hours.
2. In a large skillet add the Olive Oil, Celery and Onions.
3. Sauté the Onions and Celery until tender. Set aside.
4. Place the Carrot Chips in the bottom of your slow cooker.
5. Slice your Mini Peppers as you see here. Then add them to the slow cooker on top of the Carrots.
6. Add the Celery and Onions to the slow cooker on top of the Peppers.
7. Now add 1 Can of the Tomatoes, with liquid, over the Veggies in your slow cooker.
8. Next drain the Beef Stew Meat and layer it on top of the Tomatoes in your slow cooker. Then add the Mushrooms and Parsley.
9. Now add the last can of Tomatoes, with liquid, the Garlic and give your Pepper mill a few good turns over all. Our secret ingredient is the Nutmeg. Sprinkle it over the top. Don’t be scared! Trust me, this just brings out the earthy flavors of the Meat and Veggies!
10. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8. All slow cookers work differently. The newer ones cook at a higher heat so you have to be the judge and check your Stew for doneness. Usually when the Carrots are tender the Stew is done.
11. About half way thru the cooking time, give the Stew a good stir to incorporate the ingredients.
12. About 30 minutes prior to the Stew being done, mix 1 packet Xanthium Gum and 2 Tablespoons of the Beef Stock in a small bowl. Add this to the Beef Stew and stir well. Wait about 10 minutes and check the thickness of your Stew. If it is as thick as you want, then no need to add the second package. If you want it even thicker, simply go ahead and add the second pack in the same manner.
13. When your Stew is done, serve in a nice big bowl and sprinkle a little extra parsley on top.
Recipe by: Hot Dish Homemaker