Soon to be your favorite Lasagna recipe!
Lasagna is a simple comfort food classic. There are thousands of Lasagna recipes many with varying ingredients. This recipe is a basic, yet classic recipe. A favorite sure to please everyone in your family. Nothing better than a homemade Sauce, melted gooey Cheese and tasty Italian Sausage layered between delicious Pasta. This Lasagna is even better the next day for leftovers.
- 2 Pounds Italian Sausage
- 1 (28 oz.) Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz.) Can Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Cup Red Wine, don’t use an overly sweet wine
- 1 (20 oz.) Tomato Puree
- 1/2 Cup Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 Large Egg
- 12 Lasagna Noodles, cooked
- 12 Slices Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 (16 oz.) Ricotta Cheese
- 1 & 1/2 Cups Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cup Fresh Basil, chiffonade
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a dutch oven, add the Onions, Garlic, and Sausage. Saute over low heat until the Onions and Garlic are tender and the Sausage is no longer pink as you break it up into crumbles.
3. Now add the Tomatoes, Tomato Puree, Tomato Paste, Red Wine, Italian Seasoning and the Sugar to the dutch oven. Stir until well combined. Increase the heat to med/high and bring the Sauce to nearly a boil. What I mean by that is, when you see a few bubbles start to form, reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer for 45 minutes to an hour stirring occasionally.
4. While the Sauce is simmering, I suggest you boil the Noodles and rinse them in cold water. Just a tip, I always add a few extra Noodles to the pot just in case one or two fall apart, stick to the pan or are misshaped.
5. Once your Sauce is done, remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool slightly.
6. In a small bowl stir together the Egg and Ricotta Cheese. Then stir in the fresh Basil. Set aside.
7. We are going to build our Lasagna in a glass 9 x 13 pan. Spread about 1 & 1/2 Cups Meat Sauce evenly into the bottom of the pan. Then layer 6 Noodles on top of the Meat Sauce. Now take half of the Ricotta mixture and evenly spread that over the Noodles. Now add 6 slices of the Mozzarella Cheese on top of the Ricotta Mix. Then sprinkle 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese evenly over the Mozzarella Cheese.
8. Repeat the layers as exactly the same as the first round, and our Lasagna will be ready to bake.
9. Now cover the Lasagna with foil. A tip: I spray a little bit of nonstick cooking spray on the inside of the foil before placing it on top of the Lasagna. This helps prevent the melted Cheese from sticking to the foil. Place the covered Lasagna in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
10. After 25 minutes, remove the Lasagna from the oven and allow it to cool for 15 minutes. If you try to cut a piping hot Lasagna right away all the filling oozes out.
Serve this with an Italian or Caesar Salad, fresh baked bread and a nice glass of wine! Filling and oh so satisfying!
Recipe by: Hot Dish Homemaker