Fall Harvest Pumpkin Spice Cake Pie
I couldn’t decide if I should make Cake or Pie, so I decided to make both in one recipe!
This is a rich Pumpkin Spice Cake baked into a Pie Crust Shell. This recipe makes two Cake Pies so it is great to prepare for your Fall gatherings or for your Thanksgiving dessert buffet.
I decided to start with a box Cake mix, that way I had the extra time to make my Pie Crust from scratch. You can also make your Pie Crust from a box mix or buy the refrigerated Pie Crust if you wish. If you are a busy Parent you sometimes need to cut corners and I totally understand! This recipe could also be an alternative to your standard Pumpkin Pie if you have kids or guests that don’t like the consistency of traditional Pumpkin Pie.
FALL HARVEST PUMPKIN SPICE CAKE PIE
- 1 Duncan Hines Spice Cake mix
- Two 9″ Unbaked Pie Crust Shells
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/3 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Can (15 oz.) Pumpkin, pure Pumpkin NOT pumpkin pie mix
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ginger
- 1/8 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/8 Teaspoon Cloves
- 1 (8 oz.) Package Cream Cheese, softened
- 6 Tablespoons Butter, softened
- 1 & 2/3 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 4-5 Drops Orange Food Coloring
- 1 Cup Walnuts, chopped
1. Prepare your Pie Crusts and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Time to make the Cake Pie filling. In a large mixing bowl add the dry Cake Mix, 2/3 Cup Sugar, 4 Eggs, 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil, 1/3 Cup Sour Cream, the Pumpkin, Ginger, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Cloves and the 1/4 Cup Water. With a handheld mixer, beat on low until the ingredients all come together, then continue to mix for an additional 2 minutes until the batter is smooth.
3. Pour equal amounts of Batter into the 2 Pie Crust Shells as you see here. The Batter won’t go completely to the top and that is what we want because the Cake Batter will rise.
4. Time to bake the Cake Pie. Place both Cake Pies in the oven and bake for 35-50 minutes. All ovens cook differently so we are looking for a light golden color crust and the filling is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Once the Cake Pie is done, cool completely, before we add the Frosting. Don’t worry if your Cake Pie has a few cracks in the top. No one will ever know once we add the Frosting and Nuts.
6. Let’s make the Frosting while the Cake Pie is cooling. In a large mixing bowl add the Cream Cheese, and Butter. Using a handheld mixer, cream them together until smooth. Next add in the Orange Food Coloring and blend together. Slowly start adding the Powdered Sugar and alternate with the Heavy Cream keeping the mixer speed on low. Once the Powdered Sugar is combined, increase the speed to medium high and continue to mix until the Frosting is smooth.
7. Refrigerate the Frosting for about 20 minutes while the Cake Pies finish the cooling process. Refrigerating the Frosting will give it a better spreading consistency when we frost the Cake Pies.
8. Using a Frosting spatula, spread the Frosting evenly over the tops of both the Cake Pies, going to the edge of the crust.
9. Now you can sprinkle the top with the Walnuts, as you see here.
10. Refrigerate any leftovers in the refrigerator since we have Cream Cheese Frosting on our Cake Pies.
Recipe by: Hot Dish Homemaker