Deer Chili Recipe
Are you a deer hunter or do you have one in the family? No doubt you are always trying to find recipes to incorporate the meat into.
Venison makes this dish very hearty and earthy. A real comfort food recipe to serve on a cold Fall day.
DEER CHILI RECIPE
- 1 & 1/2 Pounds Deer Meat (I used Back Straps)
- 1 Medium Onion, Diced
- 2 (15 oz.) Cans Red Kidney Beans
- 1 (14.5 oz.) Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 (15.5 oz.) Can White Chili Beans or Pinto Beans
- 1 (29 oz.) Can Tomato Puree
- 1 Tablespoon Spicy Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 Bottle of Beer (I used New Castle)
- 4 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- Dash of Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1. This is the most important part when cooking with Deer meat: Remove all the fat and silver skin from the Deer Meat. Cut into 1 inch cubes. Rinse the Deer meat thoroughly. Place the cubes into a resealable plastic bag and add the entire bottle of beer. Seal the bag and store in the refrigerator over nite.
2. Place the Beans, Tomato Puree, Diced Tomatoes, Chili Powder, Black Pepper and Cinnamon into a slow cooker. Set aside.
3. Add the Olive Oil and Diced Onions into a large frying pan and cook over medium heat just until the Onions become translucent then add them to the slow cooker.
4. Drain the Deer Meat then add it into the same frying pan, sprinkle the Montreal Steak Seasoning over the Deer Meat and lightly brown the Deer Meat, then also add it to the slow cooker.
5. Stir all the Chili ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on high for 2-4 hours. All slow cookers are different. Some of the newer ones cook much faster so check and stir the Deer Chili every half an hour or so and cook until it is thick and the meat is done.
~Serve Deer Chili with Condiments such as Diced Green Onion, Shredded Cheddar Cheese and Sour Cream. You can also prepare a side of Corn Bread or Biscuits to round off this hearty meal.
Recipe by: Hot Dish Homemaker