Creepy Caterpillar Recipe
Add these Creepy little guys to your next Halloween Buffet!
I live in Anoka, Minnesota which just happens to be the Halloween Capital of the world so I am always trying to come up with different items to put on the Halloween buffet table.
Here is a cute and simple idea to incorporate Grapes for a bit healthier snack. There is usually a lot of candy and sweets being passed around in October so this is a great alternative. Oh, and I think they look adorable too!
You can make a few or a tray full it is up to you.
CREEPY CATERPILLARS RECIPE
- Green Grapes
- Black Licorice or Chocolate Licorice
- Chocolate Chips
- Black Cake Writing Gel
- Green Toothpicks
1. Wash and dry your Grapes thoroughly. They must be completely dry so our eyes adhere.
2. Assemble 3 Grapes onto 1 green toothpick as you see here.
3. Cut one piece of licorice into 1 inch sections. Then cut the 1 inch sections into 4 pieces. I used a very sharp knife to do this. These will be our antennas on the Caterpillar.
4. Use a toothpick to puncture two holes in the top of the end Grape. This is where we will insert our Licorice/antennas.
5. Next squeeze two small dollops of the Writing Gel just below the Antenna. Lightly press a Chocolate Chip on each dollop. These will become the creepy bulging Caterpillar eyes. Here is the tricky part, because the Grape skin is slippery, the Chocolate Chip is going to want to slide off before the gel dries, so here is how you keep it in place. Use several shot glasses or small liqueur glasses to stand your Caterpillars up straight until the gel dries. Don’t be too quick to move them. It may take up to an hour for the Gel to dry completely.
So the waiting is the hardest part, but once the Gel has set, you have adorable yet Creepy Caterpillars for your Halloween Buffet!
Recipe by: Hot Dish Homemaker