Chocolate Cherry Cola Bundt Cake
This Cake is very moist and it is a Chocolate lovers dream!
I didn’t know that Cherry Cola Cake was a southern delight until after I created this recipe. There are many variations of this delightful Cake.
For my recipe I took a short cut with the help of a Devils Food Cake Mix for my base and prepared mine in a Bundt Pan. I am from Minnesota and the Bundt Pan was developed by Nordicware, a company founded right here in Minnesota.
This is an excerpt from Nordicware:
Nordic Ware’s most famous item is the Bundt® pan, which can be found in over 70 million households around the world. Despite a lackluster introduction into our line in the early 1950s, the Bundt® pan rose to worldwide fame when it was used to bake a prize-winning cake in a national baking contest, and the rest, as they say, is history. As the pan found its way into the hearts and homes of people everywhere, the Bundt® cake has become the quintessential American dessert–one that’s become a tradition for countless gatherings and family celebrations. 70 years later with a good measure of perseverance added, Nordic Ware is still proudly manufacturing the vast majority of its products in Minneapolis.
Cherry and Chocolate pair so well together and the glossy Glaze on this Cake really shows off the topping of Candied Red Cherries. Serve this Cake with a dollop of Whipped Cream on the side…it won’t last long!
CHOCOLATE CHERRY COLA BUNDT CAKE
- 1 box Duncan Hines Devils Food Cake Mix
- 1 Cup Cola, any brand is fine
- 1 (10 oz.) Jar Maraschino Cherries, drained, reserve the Juice
- 1/2 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 (16 oz.) Container Candied Red Cherries
- 3 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Reserved Maraschino Cherry Juice
- Optional- Whipped Cream, to serve on the side
- 1/3 Cup Reserved Maraschino Cherry Juice
- 5 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray a Bundt Pan with non-stick baking spray, set aside.
3. Drain the Maraschino Cherries and reserve the Juice. Cut the Maraschino Cherries into quarters, set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl combine the Cake Mix, Cola, Oil, Eggs and 1/4 Cup reserved Cherry Juice using a hand mixer until well combined, scraping the sides of the bowl.
5. Mix in the prepared Maraschino Cherries.
6. Pour the Batter into the prepared Bundt pan.
7. Bake the Cake for 30-36 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. All ovens cook differently so check the Cake at the 30 minute mark then add more time if needed.
8. When Cake is done, remove it from the oven and let stand for 10-15 minutes before removing the Cake from the pan. Invert the Cake onto a cooling rack or cake plate then let the Cake cool completely.
9. After the Cake is cooled, you can begin to make the Glaze for the Cake. In a small saucepan, melt the Butter over low heat.
10. Next whisk in the 3/4 Cup Sugar. Continue to whisk and cook over low heat until the Sugar is mostly dissolved.
11. Whisk in 1/3 Cup reserved Cherry Juice.
12. Stir in the Chocolate Chips and continue to stir over low heat until the Chips are melted and the Glaze is smooth and glossy.
13. Remove the Glaze from the heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes. stirring every few minutes to keep the Glaze smooth.
14. After the Glaze has cooled down, spoon it onto the top of the Cake and let it run down the sides. We want it to run all the way to the bottom to create a base to place our Candied Cherries on as you see here.
15. Place a few Candied Cherries on the top and all the way around the base. You won’t use all the Candied Cherries in the package but you can use some of the extras, to decorate each individual plate if you desire.
16. Serve the Cake with a dollop of Whipped Cream on each plate and a few extra Candied Cherries.
Recipe By: Hot Dish Homemaker