Caramel Butterscotch Chocolate Cracker Bars
The latest craze is to make bars with salted crackers. I took the challenge and kicked them up a notch!
These are easy to make and no baking involved!
A lot of the recipes out there call for saltine crackers but I decided to use the Club Crackers. They have a more Buttery flavor which works well in these bars.
CARAMEL BUTTERSCOTCH CHOCOLATE CRACKER BARS
- 1 Box Club Crackers
- 1 (14 oz.) Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/4 Cup Half and Half
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 & 1/4 Cups Butterscotch Morsels
- 1 & 1/4 Cups Semi Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1. Line a 13 x 9 pan with foil and spray the foil with non stick cooking spray.
2. Line the bottom of the pan with even rows of Club Crackers in a single layer. This will take about 30 crackers. If you need to break the last row of crackers in half to fit go right ahead…it won’t effect the Bars. Set the pan aside.
3. In a medium size saucepan, add the Butter, Brown Sugar, Half & Half and the Sweetened Condensed Milk. These are our ingredients to make the Caramel filling. Before we get started making it, lets get our Butterscotch and Chocolate Chips melting. Add them to a double boiler. If you don’t have one, here is how to use what you have in your kitchen. http://www.hotdishhomemaker.com/no-double-boiler-no-problem-2/ It will take a little while to get the Butterscotch Chips and Chocolate Chips melting so that can be working while we make our Caramel. Don’t forget to stir the Butterscotch and Chocolate Chips so they melt and blend evenly. You can do this intermittently while you are making the Caramel.
4. Time to make the Caramel. Turn the heat on med/low and stir until the Butter is melted. Then turn the heat up to med/high and stir just until the mixture comes to a boil. Then remove from the heat.
5. Pour 1/3 of the Caramel over the Crackers in the prepared pan, spreading it out evenly. Now add a second single layer of Crackers on top of the Caramel. Add 1/3 of the Caramel mixture over the second layer of Crackers and spread out evenly. Layer once again with a single layer of Crackers on top of the Caramel then top with remaining Caramel mixture and spread it out evenly.
6. Your Butterscotch and Chocolate Chip mixture should be smooth and melted now. So lets add that on top of the last Caramel layer in the pan and spread it out evenly.
7. Cover and Pop the pan of Bars in the freezer for about 1-2 hours to firm.
8. Remove the Bars from the freezer and use the foil to lift the bars out of the pan. Remove the foil and place the Bars on a cutting board and slice into whatever size pieces you like. I sliced mine in about 2 x 2 size pieces.
9. Wasn’t sure how these would be received but I had a few taste testers and they said they were the best bars they ever had!
Recipe by: Hot Dish Homemaker