Broccoli Beer Cheese Soup With Ham
I couldn’t decide whether to make Cream of Broccoli Soup or Beer Cheese Soup so I made Broccoli Beer Cheese Soup with Ham. Sort of a combination of both!
I had some beautiful Broccoli and I wanted to feature it in my Soup next to the Ham. So instead of making a puree out of my Broccoli, I decided to go with bite size Florets. This recipe is a great way to use leftover ham as well.
I started this Soup with a roux and then slowly added my other ingredients. It really is quite simple to make. There is nothing like a bowl or crock of hot Soup on a cold day and we have a lot of cold days during the Winter months here in Minnesota!
BROCCOLI BEER CHEESE SOUP WITH HAM
- 3 Cups Cubed Ham
- 1 Head Broccoli, cut into bite size florets
- 1 (12 oz.) Bottle of Beer
- 1 Cup Carrots, shredded
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 Stick of Unsalted Butter
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 16 oz. Velveeta Cheese, cubed
- 1/4 Cup Parsley, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1 (14.5 oz.) Can Vegetable Stock or Broth
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1. In a dutch oven or large pot add the Butter, Onions, Garlic and Carrots. Sauté until tender.
2. Add the Flour, cook on low heat and stir until thick.
3. Next add the Beer, Veggie Stock, 1 Cup Milk, the Velveeta and the Cheddar Cheese. Stir to combine. Give your Pepper Mill a few turns over all and continue to cook and stir over medium/low heat until the Cheese just starts to melt together, then add the Broccoli.
4. Continue to cook and stir until the Broccoli is al dente, then add the Ham, Parsley and last 1 Cup of Milk to get the proper consistency. Continue to cook and stir until all the Cheese is melted, the Broccoli is tender and the Soup is hot.
Serve this Soup piping hot with dinner rolls or a nice crusty bread.
Recipe by: Hot Dish Homemaker