If you have Hunters in your family, you are probably always looking for a new recipe to incorporate your Venison in.
This is a great side dish recipe. A change to the standard Baked Bean recipe with the addition of Venison.
Give this one a try!
- 1 1/2 Lbs. Venison Steak cut into 1 inch pieces (Remove all fat and silver skin from Venison and rinse it before placing it in the marinade)
- 4 Strips of Cooked Bacon Crumbled
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1 Cup Chopped Italian Parsley
- 1 Can Red Kidney Beans (15 oz.) Drained
- 1 Can Black Beans (15 oz.) Drained
- 2 Cans Baked Beans (28 oz. size)
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
VENISON MARINADE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 1/2 Cups Red Wine
- 2 Tablespoons Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1. Place Marinade ingredients in a plastic bag then add the Venison. Seal the bag and make sure all the Venison is coated with the marinade then refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours.
2. Sautee onions in a large frying pan, then place them in a large slow cooker. Next, remove the Venison from the marinade and discard the marinade. Add the Venison to the frying pan to brown slightly. Leave the Venison a little pink in the middle as it will still continue to cook in the slow cooker.
3. Add all the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and stir. Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 3 hours. Note: the newer slow cookers, cook much faster, if you have an older slow cooker, you may want to put the temperature on high. Stir the beans every half an hour to ensure even cooking.
Recipe by: Hot Dish Homemaker