Almond Pastry Braid
This Almond Pastry Braid is great for brunch or dessert!
This is easy to make with the help of frozen Puffed Pastry Sheets. If you love Almond pastry you will love this recipe.
I enjoy this for breakfast or brunch with a nice cup of English tea. My husband loves this with a scoop of frozen vanilla bean yogurt on the side. Either way, this flaky delicious Pastry will not last long, even though this recipe makes two braids.
ALMOND PASTRY BRAID
- 1 (17.3 oz.) pkg. Frozen Puffed Pastry, thawed
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. Almond Paste
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Half & Half
- 1/2 Teaspoon Almond Extract
- 2/3 Cup Sliced Almonds
- 1/2 Cup Apricot Jam
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Using a hand mixer cream together the Butter and Sugar in a medium size mixing bowl.
3. Add the Flour, Egg and Almond Paste to the bowl and mix on low speed until all ingredients are incorporated. The mixture will be a bit lumpy as you see here, don’t worry it is just the Almond Paste.
4. Get out two baking sheets and spray them with non-stick baking spray. Now unfold the two Puff Pastry Sheets that come in the package and place one on each baking sheet.
5. You can see the fold lines in our Pastry Sheets which will be our guideline for placing our Almond Filling in the Pastry.
6. Divide the Almond Filling in half and spread the filling down the center of the Puff Pastry as you see here.
7. Now you will need a pizza wheel to cut strips to make our Braids. Make eight cuts on each side of the Braids as you see here. Try to get them even because we are going to cross them over each other to make the Braids.
8. Now fold over the cut strips crossing at an angle as you see here. Then pinch the ends to seal in the filling.
9. Bake the Puff Pastry Braids for 30-35 minutes. You want the Pastry Braids to be a nice golden brown color.
10. While the Pastry Braids are baking, place the Apricot Jam in a small saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring often. This will be our Glaze for on top of the Pastry Braids.
11. When the Pastry Braids are done, remove them from the oven then use a pastry brush to spread a very light coating of the Apricot Jam over both Braids. This is really to just give a nice shiny glaze on top and a slight hint of flavor.
12. In a small bowl whisk together the Powdered Sugar, Half & Half and the Almond Extract.
13. Now drizzle the Sugar glaze over each Braid. Use back and forth motions evenly over both Braids. Then sprinkle the sliced Almonds over both Braids as you see here.
14. To serve, just cut into slices. Yield will be 6 slices per Braid.
Recipe by: Hot Dish Homemaker